Campbell Boyd of Boyd Nursery Company and George Dodson of Sleepy Hollow Nursery patent the Sweet Thing Magnolia on April 15, 2004. After George discovers the tree in a block of seedlings that were planted in 1990 at Sleepy Hollow Nursery, Campbell manages its successful propagation. The tree has cream-colored, lemon-scented flowers throughout the summer and is significant for its compact habit. Its plant patent number is #17814. More information can be found at www.sweetthingmagnolia.com.
From 1995 to 2001, Campbell Boyd learns the ins and outs of early website design at his Black Walnut, Inc. site. With the aid of website designer Patrick Pedigo, Campbell Boyd offers retail and wholesale options online. After inheriting Boyd Nursery Company, www.boydnursery.net is launched in 2004. Early site versions require customers to call-in or mail-in forms for order placement; however, by 2009 a fully online checkout option becomes available. A replica of Boyd Nursery’s parent website, Black Walnut, can be found here.
Forging his own path, the grandson of FC Boyd, Fernando Campbell “Campbell” Boyd, III, starts Black Walnut Inc. in 1995. After successfully operating the business for six years, Campbell Boyd inherits the Boyd Nursery Company name in 2001.
First observed by Clark C. Boyd as a chance seedling in 1966, Boyd Brothers Nursery patents the Purple Glory Dogwood on March 2, 1979. With leaves that are dark purple in coloration and blossoms of four dark red bracts, the plant offers a unique appeal for dogwood enthusiasts to this day. Its plant patent number is #4627.
On December 31, 1973, Boyd Nursery Company merges with Harvest Corporation of Nashville, Tennessee. In announcing the merger, Henry N. Boyd states that Harvest Corporation will serve as the holding company and Boyd Nursery as the operating company. Unfortunately, the agreement results in disaster. Shortly after the merger, Harvest Corporation goes bankrupt. The Boyd farm continues to operate, but the company of the same name is no more. In spite of the setback, the Boyd family presses on. By 1976, they form a new partnership named Boyd Brothers Nursery. Boyd Brothers Nursery operates until the death of Henry Boyd in..Read More
FC Boyd, Jr. on behalf of Boyd Nursery Company patents the First Lady Dogwood. The cultivar, first discovered in 1957 and observed flowering in 1967, is noted for its distinctive features. The tree has brilliant green and golden variegated foliage, white flowers, and maroon and pink fall color. Its plant patent number is #2916, registered on October 25, 1967.
After experience health problems, FC Boyd turns the business and its management over to his sons, Henry N. Boyd, J. Austin Boyd, Fernando Campbell “Junior” Boyd, Jr., and Clark C. Boyd.
FC Boyd expands the rapidly growing company to Morrison, Tennessee. During the Second World War, operations on the farm continue in a limited role. FC Boyd’s sons, Robert (navy), Austin (army), Clark (army), and Hubert (army) proudly serve. Boyd Nursery Company participates in Victory Garden activities. By the early 1960s, Boyd Nursery Company employs nearly 200 people, and owns nearly 8000 acres of land. During this period, it is believed that Boyd Nursery Company is the 3rd largest provider of ornamental plant stock in the world. Boyd Nursery Company 1940s-60s
In 1929, JR Boyd purchases Forest Nursery Company interests from FC Boyd. FC Boyd forms Boyd Nursery Company with the focus interest on mail order retail nursery stock. FC Boyd locates his new business in Depot Bottom of Warren County. His first mail order catalog (printed in glorious color) nearly bankrupts the infant company as the Great Depression begins, but the risk pays off. Sales begin to pour in, including notable sales to then Governor of New York, Franklin D. Roosevelt. Within the decade Boyd Nursery Company has expanded through what will eventually become the Westwood community of McMinnville. Boyd..Read More
Sons of JHH Boyd, Fernando Campbell ‘FC’ Boyd, Sr. (1888) and James Reed ‘JR’ Boyd (1890) purchase Forest Nursery and Seed Company back from A.P. Hill and become partners at Forest Nursery and Seed Company – Boyd Brothers – working alongside their father until his death on February 21, 1924 (learn more about JHH Boyd). In the years from 1914 to 1925 the company enjoys substantial growth, and during this period the “and Seed” is gradually omitted from the company name. In 1925, Forest Nursery Company is incorporated with F. C. Boyd, President; John L. Colville, Vice President; J. R…Read More